Thursday, March 25, 2010

There is No "One". There are Ones.

I just got back from my run. I love running. It hurt's like hell during, then after, you feel amazing. It's like the reverse of binge drinking. Anyways, from now on I'm going to blog once a week. I'll write on Thursday during the clarity that follows a great run, and it'll be up for you to read on Friday. There! Now you won't have to obsessively check the page every five minutes to see if I've posted. (I, however, will still have to obsessively check for your comments.)

I've wanted to talk about my romantic past for a while now, but was never in the right frame of mind. How post-run, jelly-legged delirium is the right frame of mind, I don't know. Ahem.

When I was seventeen I fell in love with this beautiful 21 year-old-man I knew from high school. I stumbled upon his facebook page today while I was putting off running, and I could still see it! I could still see all the things that made me swoon when I was in high school and knew better than to date a non-christian.

I got the talk from my dad, "You have no business hugging and kissing a boy who is not a Christian man." Exact words. I remember that conversation vividly. But I still couldn't talk my heart off the edge, even though I spent hours agonizing over it.

Looking back, I think I felt special. I was a star-crossed lover. I had this cosmic, supernatural connection to someone who God had forbidden me to want. I will always look back on that and feel full of that special feeling, but there's another feeling now; I feel foolish too.

I look back and think that I should have been allowed to have my first love. I should have lost my virginity and experienced all that magic and mayhem. I should have been allowed to be normal and love who I loved and get my heart broken and move on.

But I couldn't have that, because as long as I thought that I was this saved person, this Christian, and that he was so woefully broken and blind, the relationship became the eternal struggle of good and evil in my life. A relationship that would have failed all by itself for organic reasons became Milton's Paradise Lost to me.

I was such an arrogant dumb-fucking-kid, because I couldn't see that I was just like everyone else who falls in love with another arrogant dumb-fucking-kid and gets her heart shattered. It's kind of cute, how stupid we were, and I'm sure 8 more years will make it even more cute and stupid.

The problem was I could never understand what kind of guy God meant for me. I couldn't comprehend the magnitude of marriage. It was always absurd to me. I often told people that I would never get married. Chastity was a reasonable price to pay for my freedom.

I remember meeting my aunt Carol, who remained unmarried and spent most of her life in Taiwan as a missionary. She gave me hope, for a time. I was always on the look out for someone who helped me believe that there was a life for me out in the Christian unknown. That amongst the sea of people who didn't relate to me, there was someone just like me.

I came close, but no cigar. I found a Christian man who loved God the way that I did - as a personal relationship that you didn't have to prove to anyone. We could talk about anything, and we did. Practically every night I would sit on top of the washing machines in the laundry room of my dorm and talk and talk and listen and listen, and I found someone on the other end who was equally good at talking and listening.

In spite of how hard I pushed my brain, I still couldn't see him in my life. He was perfect in every way. I wished that I could just fall in love with him and have the life that my parents wanted. But I balked at the idea of being a pastor's wife and, from time and neglect, whatever feelings he had for me wilted and died.

Then I stopped dating Christians all together. I started dating people who were obscenely, absurdly wrong for me. I even dated a sleazy foreigner whom I did not respect. Nicole, my best friend, yelled at me for half-an-hour in Urban Outfitters when I told her. She actually cried, she was so upset.

I guess, I couldn't love anyone I was supposed to love, so I became a cock tease. I don't defend the logic.

So here's today. I'm sitting at the computer listening to Lady Sovereign. I'm full and happy thanks to the grilled chicken salad that Jason's dad made me (he and Richard are staying with us this week). My life is chockablock with music, art, and love. I have the relationship I've always wanted; I was just looking in all the wrong places.

I think I will always hate the idea of marriage, but good for me, because I've found someone who doesn't want to get married either. I've found someone who loves his art more than he loves me. He understands that I will choose my music over him every time, and he probably wouldn't have fallen in love with me if that weren't the case.

I look back on all the energy I spent trying to be someone I wasn't, trying to love people I didn't, and I feel foolish.

-KL

7 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I love this. I am finding myself on a similar journey, and while it seems like you've begun to find resolution in reconciling your experience of love with the expectations you bought into years ago, I'm far from there, but I still hope to arrive. I feel like I've had a few aha moments along the way, but it continues to be a long, hard realization to see that I just don't fit into the little relational box my parents helped construct for me, and that maybe that's okay. I'm still in the market, anyway.

    Hope all is well. Jason sounds like a gem - does he have friends? Ha. :-)

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. KELLY! What an absolutely gorgeous piece! And, you and I have the exact same story. Seriously. Religious background. Tremendous guilt. Chastity followed by bursts of frenetic sexual activity with fucktard men. Then Dan. And I I love that line about loving the art more than the person. I feel the exact same way about the reasons why Dan and I work so well. Mwah. So glad to be your friend. Best wishes on the consistency in both writing and running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, but this left me feeling empty. It sounded like the beginning of a great love story in the making, and became the "...settled for this way of living," piece.

    Maybe it has to do with what I believe to be the mistake of loving something you and your partner Jason - do, more than your relationship. Maybe it calls for sharing your mutual loves, in whichever way that may be... and I'm sure you do, at least in regards. Such would be the expanse of your mutual understandings and appreciations.

    I've regretted saying I loved one of my attuned expressions and making myself feel that way, over someone I cherished more than any of that. --- Also, since I am a Believer: I've come to understand that we're supposed to love God more than anything else. Not that I always feel that way, yet it is knowledge... most of the time: wisdom. --- It's how I look to Him for answers, when there might be any moment of conflict about what to stay faithful to or love, most. --- Or why I'm not feeling as I know I should.

    All of what I noted there is there for dismissal, approval, or what you will... yet, once again... something, perhaps, you can meditate on with His Word (the Book)... and prayers.

    God be with you and yours, Kelly.

    Love,
    Anon Amos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you put "settled for this way of living" in quotes but you didn't get it from me. I don't feel that I've settled one bit.

    I'm so lucky to have Jason. Neither of us could be happy without our art. We are there to encourage one another and inspire one another.

    Just because marriage is something that some believe is essential to a happy and fulfilled life does not mean that my unmarried relationship is a sign that I'm settling.

    However, I do understand that your beliefs have a biblical basis. I hope that you keep reading. Your comment was polite and thoughtful and I would love to hear more.

    -KL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post, Kelly. I liked what Lucy Liu said about love in her Playboy interview:

    Playboy: How can you avoid being a moron in love?

    Liu: Can't. You have to be a moron in love. That's the fucked-up thing about love. I've done so many stupid things. When I'm really into something I'm in it all the way. I'll do almost anything without thinking about it until the relationship is over. Then I just think about what a fucking idiot I was. You give yourself 100 percent to the relationship or to the person and you can't think straight. Your mind is somewhere else. In fact, Hallmark should make a Valentine's Day card that says, "Thank you for being such a moron." Maybe I'll do it if this job doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jana, you like wine?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carl! Do not use my blog as a forum to hit on my friends.

    ReplyDelete