Friday, February 25, 2011

Evolution: A Love Story

Seriously, evolution is so ballin'. I don't know what I used to think. I didn't think; I followed with my mouth open. Glug glug glug. I happily swallowed all of those lies about "Darwin's Black Box" and how evolution reduces us all to biological machines.

Evolution did not cause the holocaust, the brain of Stalin, or the 1960's (more like the 1860's). Evolution is not a morally corrosive theory, nor is it a theory in the sense that it is theoretical.

Evolution is a theory in the way that gravity is a theory. All scientific theories are unprovable but falsifiable, and evolution is yet to be falsified. It is heavily documented, supported by scores of evidence, and contains all of our gains in biological knowledge over the last 150 years.

It is happening all around us, all of the time, and it is beautiful. Its indifference and lack of consciousness makes the stunning reality of life on this planet superior to any concept of god I once treasured. It is the justice of our genes, the brutality of the universe, and the struggle to survive. It makes no qualitative judgements. It has not the mind to judge.

I can't teach anybody anything about evolution. I am just a student who's having my mind blown on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment