Sunday, January 2, 2011

Thrift Store Fashion Shoot

Nicole modeling, me taking pictures. We didn't save the price tags, so I'm not sure what everything cost, but I can tell you that the average item price was five dollars, and nothing cost more than ten. We also used a few items from our existing wardrobes.


High-waisted wool pants and black chiffon blouse: Savers
Earrings: Izzy P  (Support your local artisans: Natalie Cain and Crissie McDowell)

I love the shoulder pads in this blouse. It makes such an extreme silhouette.

Lace body suit: Re-Style


Booties: Target

I know it's an evil corporation, but Nicole had a gift card.


Blush polyester blouse: Savers

I'm very drawn to the high-necked, ruffled style. It is so unexpected and demure.


Polyester is perfect for travel, because it doesn't wrinkle. You can wad it up in a ball in the bottom of your purse and wear it to dinner later.


Merino wool sweater: Savers
Tweed pants: hand-me-down from Kelly

When I go to thrift stores, I always scour the sweaters for 100% animal fiber. You can find them for a fraction of their cost new.


White eyelet sweater: Savers
Earrings: Re-Style

This one is definitely not animal fiber, but the details on the sleeves and collar make it really special.



Sweater: Savers


High-necked blouse: Savers

Here's the same style of blouse, but with Jeans and flats. Nicole's cherry blossoms are by Sean Wyett. We highly recommend.




Yellow suede skirt: Savers
Black boots: The Frye Company

These boots are worth the $200.00 price tag. They'll keep your feet dry all winter and look great with everything. I have a pair in brown.


We found so many amazing high-waisted skirts on this trip to savers.


 Plaid pocket skirt: Savers


Pleated polyester skirt: Savers



Pink high-waisted skirt: Savers


Vintage polyester high-waisted gym short: Re-Style $0.99

This is my favorite outfit - especially with the red shoes. Black shoes would weigh it down too much.

But this outfit would never have happened if Nicole hadn't been willing to try on these.

Nicole and I are both ex-consumer pawns. We used to haunt the mall, boutiques, and overpriced stores like anthropologie and urban outfitters. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on clothes that went out of style or wore out shortly after I bought them.

Almost all new clothing is made in third-world countries by people who are being paid less than a dollar an hour. Buying clothing that is disposable within a year or two just helps to fill the landfills faster.  If I buy something new, I try to restrict it to a wardrobe staple, and make it an investment in something that is going to last.


Of course, the cheapest way to find new fashion is to try new combinations of old clothes, and shop your friends' closets.



1 comment:

  1. I would challenge the animal fibers you're seeking. Most of the animals they are derived from lead horrible exploited lives and die equally horrible deaths. Although I do recognize purchasing used clothing doesn't place the same demand on the market as new, I would still challenge everyone to seek out more compassionate options- free of sweatshop labor, and animal torture.
    Great post! Love you sis!!

    ReplyDelete